Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Sugar and Spice

Rose has recovered well from her wobbler bites. A small bruise on her cheek is all that remains. Continuing to prove "if it's not one thing, it's another," Rose and I had to take a sick day today because Rose has had a steady fever of 102.5 since last night. When it started to rise this afternoon, nearing 104, I took her to her pediatrician's clinic to see if it was another ear infection. The doctor on duty tried to check out her ear drums, but his line of sight was impeded by too much wax. He called the nurse in for an ear cleaning procedure that involved stripping Rose down, swaddling her tightly in a sheet, holding her on her back with her head to the side and squirting water into her ears with a syringe for about ten minutes. She screamed in protest the entire time. And she's loud. When the doctor came back in for a second look, he still couldn't see. So we left without a diagnosis and with instructions to watch her closely over the next 48 hours. And to use Trevor's ear wax softener on her for three days.

Rose continued to scream steadily through the entire lack of diagnosis and final instructions from the doctor. "Da da da da ta ta ta TA TA da da DA DA...." When he started to walk towards the door and turned around to loudly say "good-bye"over her squawks, she immediately stopped crying, lifted her arm high above her head and waved her hand at the doctor very purposefully. Good-bye! He laughed and affirmed that our daughter is quite a character.

As lousy as Rose was feeling today, we still had a fun day together. And she still ate like a champ - a good sign. Today I made an Indian curry for dinner and Rose loved it - chicken and potatoes in a tomato sauce full of cumin, coriander, cloves, cardamom, garlic, chili powder and cinnamon. I thought for sure these spices would slow her down. But she didn't miss a beat. Hand over fist, the chicken and potatoes disappeared.

Here's a happy Rose post ibuprofen in the tub tonight.

Last night, I discovered that Rose's ninth tooth has come in. When did that happen? She was a bit drooly last weekend, and she hasn't been sleeping well, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised. Well, there it is, her first molar  - on the upper left side. Sharp as a sawtooth! She continues to drool, so I imagine we'll be seeing more of these molars appearing soon.

Another new thing in Rose's life is yogurt. She tried it, she loves it and she seems to be tolerating it just fine so far. It's a wonderful thing.

Here are a some pictures of Rose and her dad this past weekend.

And I'll leave you with a picture of Rose sharing Cheerios with her friend Kinsley at a baby group get together. By sharing, I mean eating Kinsley's Cheerios out of her mom's hand faster than Kinsley can eat them.

No comments:

Post a Comment